Saturday, April 10, 2010

Motivation


Saturday Afternoon at the Connecting office

Having had a prolonged break from my blog, I am back. I was struggling to find words to pen, because for the longest time nothing interested me. Now that I am back in Pune, after almost 5 years, I miss Thailand and wish that I was with my students. But due to financial constraints I am compelled to chose my living over happiness. Since my arrival, I was sinking into a silent depression, because everything about being back was frustrating. On the roads, at home, at work- there was nothing exciting and pleasing. I cannot say for sure if this was because I felt that I had betrayed my Burmese students and colleagues in Thailand. What I can attest to was that I was unhappy and I couldn't wait to get away.

Gradually, I began to wake up to a reality, that the selfish nature of people, the corruption, the rusted system, and lack of motivation prevalent in India's youth were the culprits- the cause of my frustration. I couldn't comprehend how people could lead such discouraged lives, where the youth are only considered to serve as a support for their old relatives; the rationale behind India's population growth- More Children = more support for family. But adults who spit out this justification do not give a thought to some other logic that seems to make more sense;

More children = increased financial burdens = poor standard of living and education for the family = unemployment= NO Support System!

And herewith I found my motivation- to empower youth in India so that they can dictate terms for their own future. Witnessing the plight of students in a morbid educational system, there was a need to encourage and enlighten them. This is a huge undertaking, but one that is long overdue. From this desire to shape India's future, YEP- The Youth Empowerment Project was born, and I call on India's youth to join in and shake things from the grassroots level.

I have been part of student organizations and know how exciting it is to be part of change, and I am confident that India's children are no different. So without further delay, I, an offspring of India summon the current generation to assemble with me before the system is left completely dysfunctional.

No comments:

Post a Comment