Sunday, May 10, 2009

Is Twitter the new platform for Human Rights Education?


Early this year, a close friend a.k.a my sister from another mother introduced me to this new networking website that had this expanding network of human rights actvists.It took some convincing on her part, but she assured me that this is a great way to network with people who have similar interests; I wasn't sure if this was for me, it seemed quite pointless to express one's thoughts in 140 characters.
But a great sales person that she is, she managed to sell the idea and I registered, although I wasn't too keen on it. Prior to this I had no clue about its existence and was quite content with facebook. But vola, three months into it and I can't stop tweeting!

Like Facebook, Twitter is an online networking site, with its distinctive features and subscribers. The former is more social, while the latter is designed, I believe to cater towards a more professional crowd; although some of my university friends are registered Twitter users. Its simple concept makes it accessible to working people who are pressed for time to post quick tweets, and there are some users who post ten tweets every couple of hours.

The primary reason I tweet more than I facebook now, is because there is this network of human rights organizations and activists that post updates about human rights and politics as they happen. Its almost like a live coverage of an event! With a total of 45 followers, I couldn't be more informed!

I woke up this morning to a tweet about Roxana Saberi that overjoyed me! Yes he sentence has been reduced and she has been freed. There are constant updates about Darfur, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Burma; everything under the sun.

While I am sure there are other topics and groups, my world on twitter revolves around human rights issues and I feel like twitter has been extremely rewarding for the human rights and news networks!

Mamnoon Doneen for expanding my network!

No comments:

Post a Comment