Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day goes deeper than cards and roses


It is Sunday Morning; No, I am not referring to the Maroon 5 song "Sunday Morning", but it is literary Sunday Morning and a very special one indeed! When Anna Javis created the modern Mother's Day holiday, she intended it to become a day where families can honour their mother. But today it is not so much Javis’ holiday, but a Hallmark, Kroger, and Publix holiday! There is nothing wrong with that, however many of us seem to have forgotten the very essence of today and seem to confuse it with a day to shower our mother with lavish gifts; I have been guilty of this charge as well. However, as I have become more mature I realize that there is more meaning in a handmade card, a hug, and the gift of time. This is what many children around the world do, especially those that cannot afford gifts. There is a secret that I would like to share with my readers: If even one person can refrain from giving into their temptation of buying lavish gifts, so can you; no matter what the reason is behind that choice. This applies to other occassions as well. Every time I am in a store battling the choice of gift to buy for my parents and friends on their special occasions, I am reminded of those more unfortunate than myself. There are several billion mothers in the world today, and so many of them are victims of atrocities and abuse. Earlier this morning I was reading an article in the AJC that resonated with my frame of thought. While it is true that I miss my mother terribly and would like more than anything to hug her at this moment, I think she would be more honoured to see me honouring other women like her who are mothers in midst of a conflict; those mothers who aren’t even aware of the existence of such a day and those whose only wish is to see peace be returned to their families. So today, please take a moment and think of those women who are battling for their lives, in some faraway land. Lets bring them home to our families today. Here's wishing all the world's mothers a Happy Mothers Day. Dear children of these strong mothers, there is no strength in the sword or gun, but in the courage of your mother. To Mom:I love you.

But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do
Sunday morning rain is falling and I'm calling out to you
Singing someday it'll bring me back to you
Find a way to bring myself home to you

1 comment:

  1. This is a great note to your diary. Hope all is well with you. One thing you forgot to call when you arrived at your destination.

    ReplyDelete